Job title: Employment Training Specialist
Company: MRC Industries
Job description: POSITION: Employment Training Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Community Employment
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Employment
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
STATUS: Full-time (40 hours/week), Non-exempt
Summary of Responsibilities:
Develops opportunities in the community to assist and enable individuals with developmental disabilities and mental illness to obtain and maintain long-term, competitive employment. Engages in community outreach and networking opportunities, building and nurturing business relationships in order to develop job opportunities for the individuals we serve. Works with employers to examine job needs and work environments to determine need for workplace modifications and coaching/support needed to teach job to the individual.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists persons in obtaining appropriate competitive employment, ensuring job match consistent with individual’s skills, strengths, and preferences.
- Assists individuals to be knowledgeable about job duties, benefits, rates of pay, employment policies and practices, and job location prior to acceptance.
- Establishes and maintains effective community employment contacts, working closely with local employers to develop and identify job opportunities.
- Provides on-going follow-up and support services to the individual to assist them in adjusting to and maintaining their employment. Assists individuals in accessing other community resources as necessary.
- Maintains contact with employers to provide follow-up support and ensure satisfaction with services. Assists individuals in obtaining information on how their employment income will impact benefits (i.e. SSI, SSDI) and monitors income and its relationship to benefits.
- Establishes and nurtures business relationships through participating and/or maintaining membership in community organizations such as Chamber of Commerce, business organizations, and service organizations and attending community events such as career fairs.
- Obtains funding for individuals in job development (i.e. MRS, CMH).
- Maintains an organized system of recording job openings, including the names of employers, persons referred, and actions taken, and completes documentation in the timeframe established by supervisor.
- Completes safety analysis of employment sites to assure a safe environment.
- Provides feedback of information with other personnel regarding community employment opportunities and labor market trends.
- Coordinates with community employment staff to arrange appropriate placements, transportation and coaching for new employment sites.
- Assists employers to identify and eliminate barriers to employment for the individuals employed.
- Maintains contact with service team members (case managers, parents, guardians, etc).
- Trains individuals new to community employment.
- Serves as back-up Job Coach when needed.
- Assures rights of individuals served are protected in accordance with the Michigan Mental Health Code and agency policy.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High School Diploma required. Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent of four years’ experience and education in any combination of sales, marketing, job placement, job development, or direct services to individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental illness required.
- Prior experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental illness preferred.
- Must become certified as an Employment Training Specialist (ETS) within six months of hire.
- Professional, creative and dynamic individual with excellent networking skills and the ability to communicate with people at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal skills at technical and professional levels.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to exercise independent and sound judgment.
- Proficient in computer and keyboarding skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Work well in a team as well as independently.
- Must be able to accommodate schedule flexibility to meet consumer needs including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Availability of reliable, licensed, and insured vehicle for use on the job. A valid Michigan driver’s license and good driving record required.
- Criminal records check and Recipient Rights check are required.
- Office environment with noise from computers, copiers, telephones, and staff and client interactions.
- Local travel throughout the community to meet with prospective and current employment locations, attend networking events, training and other local travel as required by position. Occasional overnight travel.
- Working hours will involve evening and weekends as determined by the needs of the people we serve and program operations.
- Work may involve being outside in all weather conditions, exposure to dust, dirt, grass, pollen and industrial conditions.
- Must be able to stand, walk, reach, bend, and handle objects, tools, or controls.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to operate a computer keyboard.
Veterans encouraged to apply.
Expected salary: $17 – 25.5 per hour
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Job date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 22:28:52 GMT
Apply for the job now!