Job title: Employment Counselor- Salt Lake County
Company: State of Utah
Job description: Job Description
Do you have a passion for helping individuals and families succeed? Are you looking for a stable and fulfilling career opportunity where you can make a difference in your community? If so, we’d like you to apply! The Workforce Development Division (WDD) at the Department of Workforce Services (DWS) is looking for five skilled and motivated individuals to fill Employment Counselor I positions. These positions will be located in DWS Employment Centers in Salt Lake County.
*This position may be filled as an Employment Counselor II for an internal applicant, depending on qualifications.*
Employment Counselors deliver a broad range of services to assist case managed customers, job seekers, the general public and their families to resolve barriers and increase skills in order to obtain and maintain employment. Services are focused on individual and family needs and may be provided one-on-one or in group settings. Some positions involve outreach to community partners. These services typically include:
- Providing career and educational counseling to empower customers to become more self-sufficient and confident.
- Assessing customers and their families to identify barriers to self-sufficiency, employment, training and income goals.
- Utilizing motivational interviewing techniques to create a supportive environment.
- Developing employment plans with activities leading to achieving goals and/or work readiness, as well as monitoring and evaluating employment plans activities and progress.
- Utilizing labor market information, local resources, referral to community partners and employers to assist customers in meeting their goals.
- Assessing needs and educating customers about DWS programs, policies, and services and providing assistance in the application for temporary assistance programs (Food Stamps, Financial, Medicaid, Child Care and Unemployment Insurance).
- Home visits when needed to establish relationships, increase rapport, problem solve, engage or re-engage the customer.
- Assisting customers with resume creation, networking, mock interviewing and job searching with technology.
The Ideal Candidate
The model candidate for this position is someone who has:
- Experience coordinating with community partners.
- Experience serving individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to present information clearly and effectively.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to assist people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism, without prejudice or bias.
- Knowledge of agency programs, community resources and services, local labor market, and job search techniques.
- The ability to provide family focused career counseling and proactively engage and motivate customers.
- Motivational interviewing skills to collect information and establish a supportive relationship.
- The ability to problem solve and identify creative solutions to lead to successful outcomes.
- Education and/or work experience relating to case management, career counseling or social services.
- Preference may be given to those fluent in Spanish.
Why You Should Join Our Team
Besides working for a fantastic agency that is dedicated to helping the citizens of Utah, you will receive great health and retirement benefits. to view a summary of benefits we offer. We also provide generous paid time off so you can spend more time with your family and have a positive work-life balance.
The mission of Workforce Services is we strengthen Utah’s communities by connecting the workforce to new opportunities and providing services to individuals and families in need. Today, more than 2,200 Workforce Services employees assist individuals in preparing for and finding jobs, meeting workforce needs of Utah businesses, administering temporary assistance, and providing economic data and analysis. Through a collaborative approach, the department has served millions of Utahns and has become a leader on several statewide initiatives. These include intergenerational poverty, homelessness, affordable housing, supporting refugees, helping rural communities, serving veterans and individuals with disabilities, and getting Utahns trained and back to work. To learn more about Workforce Services, .
- Risks found in the typical office setting, which is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations, etc.
- Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to perform the work; however, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying light items; driving an automobile, etc. Special physical demands are not required to perform the work.
- DHRM rules regarding promotions and transfers apply to current state of Utah employees.
The State of Utah offers eligible employees a variety of benefits including medical, dental, life and disability insurance, as well as a comprehensive leave program. Please click the following link for a detailed information page: . To access a Total Compensation Calculator in Excel format click .
FMLA General Notice:
(right click + open link in new tab)
(clic derecho + abrir en una pestaña nueva?)
Expected salary: $19 per hour
Location: Salt Lake County, UT
Job date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 23:57:48 GMT
Apply for the job now!