Job title: Student Research Assistant, Mental Health & Employment
Company: Douglas College
Job description: Position Details
Position Title Student Research Assistant, Mental Health & Employment
Posting Number 01987SA
Location Coquitlam Campus
Grade or Pay Level SA – Pay Level II
Salary Range $18.95/hour
Position Type Student Research Assistant
Posting Type Internal/External
Employment Type Part-Time
Posting Category Student Assistants
Start Date 09/05/2023
Day of the Week Other
Shift See Work Arrangements
The position is located at the Coquitlam campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2023: September 5, 2023 – December 17, 2023
2. Winter 2024: January 3, 2024 – April 24, 2024
3. Summer 2024: May 6, 2024 – August 18, 2024
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
The Student Research Assistant (SRA), Mental Health & Employment will work on the research project being conducted with the Thrive program at Open Door Group Services Society. Under the direct supervision of Dr. Colleen Reid, the SRA duties include: reviewing and compiling literature, writing an annotated bibliography, conducting one-on-one interviews, transcribing one-on-one interviews, recording fieldnotes, qualitative data analysis, and attending research meetings as needed. The specific duties performed by the SRA will be determined by the current phase of the research project and the priority of research tasks.
Under the direct supervision of Dr. Colleen Reid, the SRA duties include:
- Review interdisciplinary literature in areas of therapeutic recreation and mental health, employment, skills training, and peer work.
- Use a bibliography software program (Mendeley) to track and input literature collected.
- Write an annotated bibliography of literature collected.
- Conduct, transcribe, code, and analyze one-on-one interviews using NVivo program.
- Attend research team meetings.
- Participate in drafting research manuscripts.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
To be successful in this role you will need to be taking, or have successfully completed, THRT 3710 or a related research course. Other research experience is an asset.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term; OR
4. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the institution in the term immediately following the work term.
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation – “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.” Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 08/18/2023
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
– Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
– Domestic or International student status
– Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2023
2. Winter 2024
3. Summer 2024
– If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Expected salary: $18.95 per hour
Job date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 04:48:14 GMT
Apply for the job now!