Job title: Data Architect
Job description: Overview
We are looking for a Data Architect to lead and influence the structure and organization of data assets within the enterprise to support business processes, decision-making and strategic planning. In this role, you’ll have 3 main areas of responsibility: product data leadership (including providing insight into investment decisions for new data in future and legacy systems and proper product data architecture design), overseeing the process for defining and maintaining organizational data (maintaining the Enterprise Data Model, identifying common/standard data sources, setting up data governance stands), and the advancement of data and data architecture.
Data Architects will work with and provide direction to a wide variety of business units and technology staff, management, and clients on data architectures, repositories, strategies, and solutions that maximize WorkSafeBC’s data value and integrated architecture.
How you’ll make a difference: You’ll turn data into knowledge that benefits workers and employers across B.C.
Where you’ll work
WorkSafeBC, we offer a hybrid work model that combines the convenience of working remotely with the dynamism of working in one of our offices, based on the operational needs of the position.
In this role, you’ll work primarily from your B.C. home and occasionally in our Richmond office.
What you’ll do
- Lead product data investment strategy, influencing the business and product development teams in ensuring that data is collected, appropriately stored, and of sufficient quality to enable workflow/business activity automation, and comprehensive business management (performance measurement). Also ensure cross-divisional gaps and opportunities are identified and capitalized upon, future needs are identified and addressed, and appropriate cloud data storage technologies are leveraged.
- Data Architecture Implementation: Implement physical data architecture (e.g. translation of logical to physical, data pipelines, etc.) in low-code/no-code cloud implementations.
- Product Data Architecture Standards and Extensibility: As a SME in data architecture best practices, directs and supports the efforts of multiple application & technical specialists within all of I&T to ensure that system architectures are compatible with existing IS architectural standards.
- Enterprise Data Model Owner: Document the data architecture and environment to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger picture in the Enterprise Data Model (EDM).
- Shared and Common Data Curator: Through independent investigations and in conjunction with other technology staff and business units, perform data and process analysis to ensure that the enterprise data model keeps apace and captures the best up- to-date representation of WorkSafeBC’s core business data.
Is this a good fit for you?
We’re looking for someone/people who can:
- Develop, implement, and enforce various aspects of data governance to ensure data is reliable and consistent. Activities include:
- establish clear policies and procedures for managing data assets, including data standards, metadata management, and data quality
- establish processes for monitoring and improving data quality, including data profiling, data cleansing, and data validation
- define the organization’s data architecture and ensuring that it is aligned with business requirements and objectives and is reflected in the Enterprise Data Model
- Provide training sessions and leadership on both business area and data architecture in general. Educates business clients, technology staff, and project teams to provide a more robust understanding of the data and standards to increase understanding and efficiency. Develop the data improvement mindset across the organization.
- Seek new developments in the data/information architecture discipline. Leads the experimentation, piloting and implementation of new strategies to data architecture in WorkSafeBC. Seeks opportunities for application in WorkSafeBC’s cloud infrastructure.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Your background and experience
- An undergraduate degree in technology or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- a minimum of 3 years (real-time) of directly related experience which includes at least 2 years of experience in a data architecture/design/modelling role
We’ll consider an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Important to know
Before we can finalize any offer of employment, you must:
- Consent to a criminal record check
- Confirm you’re legally entitled to work in Canada
WorkSafeBC’s COVID-19 Employee Mandatory Vaccine Policy (the “Policy”) is suspended effective January 9, 2023, however we reserve the right to re-implement it in response to changes in the public health landscape, including public health orders. We are committed to the protection, health, and safety of our employees and our Communicable Disease Prevention Program and related protocols remain in effect.
Who we are
At WorkSafeBC, we promote safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We’re honoured to serve the 2.49 million workers and 263,000 registered employers in our province.
What’s it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It’s challenging, stimulating, and rewarding. Our positions offer diversity and opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important, and so are the people we do it for.
Our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences that reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self.
Learn more: Discover .
As a member of our team, you’ll have access to services and benefits that help you get the most out of work — and life. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes:
- Defined benefit pension plan that provides you with a lifetime monthly pension when you retire
- 3 weeks of vacation in your first year, with regular increases based on years of service
- Extensive health care and dental benefits
- Optional leave and earned-time-off arrangements
- Development opportunities (tuition reimbursement, leadership development, and more)
Learn more: Find out .
Want to apply?
- Applications are welcomed immediately, however must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. PST on the closing date.
- Please note that we will be starting assessments prior to the closing date.
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email when you submit your application.
Any additional application materials must be received by email to by 4:30 p.m. PST on the closing date of the competition.
Expected salary: $47.1 – 59.32 per hour
Location: Richmond, BC
Job date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 06:43:09 GMT
Apply for the job now!