Job title: Manager, IT (DevOps)
Job description: Overview
Are you passionate about delivering value to your clients and developing and implementing strategies to run an efficient and effective IT operation? Do you strive to be an effective leader, mentoring and supporting your team and promoting strong service-oriented values? We are looking for a Manager IT (DevOps) to manage the day-to-day operations of their teams within the Innovation & Technology (I&T) Division and to develop and deliver effective and efficient services to clients in accordance with best practices, policies, and standards of WorkSafeBC.
In this role, you’ll work under the direction of the I&T Director of Enterprise Development and Operations (EDO) and will be responsible for business application development, operational stability of the province-wide 24×7 business applications, promoting and implementing processes including those that take advantage of the cloud and automation as well as ensuring security is foundational as part of solution delivery.
How you’ll make a difference: As a Manager IT, DevOps you’ll be using leading-edge technology to help connect British Columbians to healthy and safe workplaces.
Where you’ll work
At WorkSafeBC, we offer a hybrid work model that combines the convenience of working remotely with the dynamism of working in one of our offices, based on the operational needs of the position.
In this role, you’ll work primarily from your B.C. home and occasionally i.e., 2-3 times per month in our Richmond, BC office.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the leadership, Architecture, Common Engineering, Delivery and Security teams to define and implement quality and secured applications including an action-oriented application modernization strategy that is aligned with business objectives.
- Ensure the application cloud services are optimized and cost effective, supporting automation, monitoring and reflecting changes to business needs and demand volume.
- Supervise the application database design and application-related administration activities, such as application data performance tuning and security management. Working together with the Platforms Cloud Data Services manager, Data Architect, and Analytics and Data Services team the incumbent will ensure consistent and secure use of data in processes and reporting.
- Working with the Platform Observability & Monitoring team, the incumbent will ensure consistency of Service Reliability Engineering (SRE) processes concerning the reliability, availability, and performance of the systems and applications, including observability, incident management, monitoring, automation and on-call rotation.
- Work with the Release Train Engineers and People Development Managers to improve processes including the prioritization of technical debt on products, ensuring they are managed at an acceptable level.
- Monitor the number of issues or technical debts per product , identifying those requiring modernization to reduce support efforts.
- Manage the operations of the various staff, contractors and service providers reporting to the incumbent in order to ensure efficient and effective delivery of services to internal and/or external customers.
Is this a good fit for you?
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Ensure the effective delivery of all services within their area of responsibility by developing and implementing work unit business plans to support and achieve the Division’s strategic objectives and performance goals. Monitors and adjusts activities to meet business plan objectives and to respond to changing conditions.
- Ensure that WorkSafeBC and Divisional policies, procedures and standards are appropriately implemented within assigned area. Provides advice, guidance and direction to assigned staff and others on plans, processes and operational matters relating to areas of responsibility.
- Promote a service-oriented approach in providing services to external and/or internal customers. Identify, follow up, and/or respond to clients’ needs and areas of concern, taking appropriate action to quickly resolve issues.
- Participate as a member of the management team of the Division in business planning activities and provide input into changes and initiatives as required. Work closely in collaboration with other Divisional and/or WorkSafeBC managers in planning, program development or operational activities.
- Manage and direct assigned staff in maintaining high levels of service and in achieving Divisional priorities and objectives. Hire, orient, evaluate, discipline, and terminate staff as required. Assign work, set performance goals and provides feedback, coaching and developmental planning to support and motivate staff in meeting expectations.
- Manage the financial resources within the allocated budget. Plan, develop and administer annual operating budget for the assigned area. Monitor ongoing financial reporting, investigate variances, and take corrective action as required.
Your background and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, Engineering or Computer Science.
- A minimum of 5 years of directly related management experience.
- Azure certification is an asset.
We’ll consider an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Important to know
Before we can finalize any offer of employment, you must:
- Consent to a criminal record check and successfully meet the criminal record clearance.
- Confirm you’re legally entitled to work in Canada.
WorkSafeBC’ s COVID-19 Employee Mandatory Vaccine Policy (the “Policy”) is suspended effective January 9, 2023, however we reserve the right to re-implement it in response to changes in the public health landscape, including public health orders. We are committed to the protection, health, and safety of our employees and our Communicable Disease Prevention Program and related protocols remain in effect.
Who we are
At WorkSafeBC, we promote safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases occur, we provide compensation and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We’re honored to serve the 2.49 million workers and 263,000 registered employers in our province.
What’s it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It’s challenging, stimulating, and rewarding. Our positions offer diversity and opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important, and so are the people we do it for.
Our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences that reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self.
Learn more: Discover .
As a member of our team, you’ll have access to services and benefits that help you get the most out of work — and life. Along with a competitive salary, your total compensation package includes:
- Defined benefit pension plan that provides you with a lifetime monthly pension when you retire
- 4 weeks of vacation in your first year, with regular increases based on years of service
- Benefits package that includes customizable options for health care and dental benefits, additional days off, and a health care spending account
- Optional leave arrangements
- Development opportunities (tuition reimbursement, leadership development, and more)
Learn more: Find out .
Want to apply?
- Applications are welcomed immediately, however must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. PST on the closing date.
- Please note that we will be starting assessments prior to the closing date.
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email when you submit your application
Expected salary: $124081 per year
Location: Richmond, BC
Job date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 06:57:34 GMT
Apply for the job now!