Job title: Health Care Social Worker B (BSW) – Withdrawal Management – Mental Health & Addictions
Company: Nova Scotia Health Authority
Job description: Req ID: 158728
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Northern Zone, All Saints Springhill Hospital
Department: MHA NZ Springhill Withdrawal Mgt Unit
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: NSGEU Healthcare Position
Posting Closing Date: 14-Sep-23
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there’s a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with a Nova Scotia Health role means you’ll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
About the Opportunity
The Health Care Social Worker is a member of the interdisciplinary health care team providing collaborative, holistic care on the primary to quaternary care continuum. Social Workers are primarily concerned with the relationships between people and their environments, which are integral to psychosocial, emotional, and spiritual well-being. The social determinants of health are embedded in social work theory and practice and are the focus of the dynamic and interactive process of engagement, assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation. Social Workers build upon the strengths of patients/clients by focusing on existing coping strategies and problem-solving skills, past successes, and personal resources.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work from a recognized university
- Current registration with the Nova Scotia College of Social Workers (NSCSW)
- 2 years post BSW-related clinical experience required
- Knowledge and understanding of the Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM )
- Previous experience working with clients with MHA’s concerns preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of various treatment theories and practice of harmful involvement, harm reduction, motivational interviewing and stages of change
- Knowledge of the field of addiction and addiction related programming and treatment
- Demonstrated ability to use a client-/family-centered approach
- Demonstrated experience with group facilitation
- Ability to complete biopsychosocial assessments
- Excellent communication skills
- Awareness of local community resources and agencies would be considered an asset
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Ability to demonstrate effective time management and disciplined self-organization
- Demonstrated comfort and skills working collaboratively with community partners
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Please ensure your resume is up to date and includes all relevant education, experience, training, and certifications.
- Permanent full-time position; 75 hours bi-weekly
Compensation and Incentives
$33.80 – $42.68 hourly
Successful candidates may be eligible for our benefits package which includes health, dental, travel, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage as well as a defined benefit pension plan.
Once You’ve Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Healthcare bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Preferred candidates must be able to demonstrate proof of primary series of COVID -19 vaccine at time of hire.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Foreign Nationals/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.
Expected salary: $33.8 – 42.68 per hour
Location: Springhill, NS
Job date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 06:48:00 GMT
Apply for the job now!