Job title: Employment Specialist
Company: International Rescue Committee
Job description: IRC Summary: Founded in 1933, The IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC has been resettling refugees in the Modesto and Turlock area for over 15 years, providing reception and placement services to newly arrived refugees. The office provides numerous supplemental programs to assist refugees and IRC clients including education and employment programming and immigration services.
Job Overview: The Employment Specialist is responsible to provide direct job placement and retention services to support refugees to attain economic self-sufficiency through employment in the Turlock and Modesto offices. This position reports to the Job Placement Supervisor.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Support clients through the job placement process including job search activities, completing and submitting applications, interview, and new hire processes.
- Follow up with client and employer after employment begins at regular intervals during retention period to provide post placement support as needed.
- Monitor and track job performance and wage level through database.
- Complete case notes and file maintenance.
- Participate in program meetings, staff development activities, and fully engages as a team member.
- Comply with all policies, procedures and protocols of the agency.
- Conduct client orientations, assessments, appraisals, intake for Limited English Proficient Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) participants, and Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) participants.
- On-going case management, counseling and transportation assistance as needed, including referrals to outside resources such as social adjustment as needed.
- Develop comprehensive employment plans for each employable adult.
- Determine specific employment opportunities appropriate to clients and assisting clients in accessing these opportunities by guiding them through the hiring process.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: County Employment Program Coordinator
Indirect Reporting: Economic Empowerment Manager
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
External: Local employers
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 2+ years’ experience in related field
- Demonstrated experience with the US Job search process
- Experience working with refugee or non-native English speaking population preferred
- Familiarity with local job market preferred
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Previous multi-cultural experience and demonstrated ability to communicate well with people of varied backgrounds strongly preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to coach people through the nuanced process of securing employment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required
- Experience using data and tracking systems strongly preferred
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance required
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- Fluency in additional languages reflecting target population preferred.
- Standard office work environment, hybrid schedule.
- Regular travel to and between Turlock and Modesto office and local employer locations throughout local radius required.
- Occasional work outside of traditional office hours required
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
Expected salary: $25.51 – 26.3 per hour
Location: Turlock, CA
Job date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 22:04:52 GMT
Apply for the job now!