Job title: Meno Weecheeheeway Patient Navigator
Company: Sioux-Hudson Employment Services
Job description: Job Description
Meno Weecheeheeway Patient Navigator
Four (4) Full-time Positions
Location: (1) Winnipeg, MB, (2) Sioux Lookout and (1)Thunder Bay, ON
Salary Rate: $63,310- $81,483 per annum
Reference Number: 2023-42
If applying by email, indicate reference number in subject line
The Patient Navigator will provide liaison and advocacy services; provide translation in one of the Cree, Oji-Cree, or Ojibway languages. Support clients in navigating the FNIHB-Non-Insured Health Benefits system; provides support and direction to un-attended clients/patients from the SLFNHA Communities while they travel from their home communities for medical services in Sioux Lookout.
The Patient Navigator will help clients with the navigation the health care system overall and will work to ensure proper communication exists between the clients, families and medical teams.
Who can apply:
Persons of First Nations ancestry will be given preference (s.16 (1)CHRA)
Applicants must posses:
- Minimum grade 12 and/or certificate in health or social field, and/or combined relevant experience
- Previous experience working in the healthcare industry and/or First Nations community preferred
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of the FNIHB-NIHB Policy Framework for: Medical Transportation, Vision, Dental, Medical Supplies & Equipment, Pharmacy and Mental Health Counselling
- Understanding and working knowledge of the Ontario birth registration, and Indian registration processes
- Able to communicate effectively to provide information on benefit eligibility criteria, identify problems and establish a strategy to obtain the necessary services.
- Be fluent in one or more of the First Nations dialects: be trained in areas of medical terminology
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively deal with the public and be a representative of SLFNHA Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Persons Check
Knowledge and Ability:
- Liaison and advocacy for First Nation members requesting support on NIHB issues; between the health care team, patients, and families.
- Provide translation between an Indigenous language: Cree, Ojibway, Oji-Cree, to English
- Support clients in navigating the FNIHB-NIHB Medical Transportation, Vision, Dental, Pharmacy, Medical Supplies & Equipment, and Mental Health Counseling benefits.
- Attend scheduled medical appointments, as needed, to ensure removal of the client’s barriers to care by identifying critical resources for clients, helping them navigate through health care services and systems, and promoting client health.
- Helps patients communicate with their healthcare providers, in the First Language of the client, so they get the information they need to make decisions about their health care, may also help patients set up appointments for doctor visits and medical tests and get financial, legal, and social support.
- Provides support before, during and after clinical appointments. Provides information and education in a culturally sensitive manner
- Provides assistance during discharge planning, medications, follow-up appointments, and return transportation.
- Provides education and assistance to clients in the Birth and Indian Registration processes
- Provide advocacy and support for clients and First Nation communities. Acts as a Liaison between First Nation members and external providers Other duties as may be assigned
Send cover letter and resume to:
Human Resource Department
Sioux Lookout First Nations Health Authority
P.O. Box 1300, 61 Queen Street
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1B8
Phone: (807) 737-1802
Fax: (807) 737-2969
Email: Human.Resources@slfnha.com or apply online at http://www.slfnha.com/careers
SLFNHA currently “Strongly Recommends” COVID-19 immunizations and requests your immunization status to be sent to our staff health department if successful in the recruitment process.
Closing Date: Open till filled
The Health Authority wishes to thank all applicants in advance.
However, only those granted an interview will be contacted.
For additional information regarding the Health Authority, please visit our Web-site at www.slfnha.com
SLFNHA is a proud supporter of Mikinakoos Children’s Fund. To find out more, visit www.mikinakoos.com
Expected salary: $63310 – 81483 per year
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON – Thunder Bay, ON
Job date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 05:25:40 GMT
Apply for the job now!