Job title: Fitness and Wellness Facilitator
Company: Youth Employment Services
Job description: Description
Nestled in the heart of the U of T campus, the Hart House Fitness Centre is a community-centered boutique fitness space that brings together U of T students, staff, faculty, and the greater community. This fitness and wellness space is uniquely part of the larger cultural, learning and wellness Centre that is Hart House.
Specializing in mind-body wellness offerings and recreation-based programming, our spaces blend eclectic personalities, history, architecture, fitness, and wellness to create a welcoming, inclusive environment where everybody feels safe and represented. At the Hart House Fitness Centre, we meet clients where they are at, listening, supporting, and encouraging every step of the way. If you are not sure where to start, start at the Hart House Fitness Centre.
Reporting to the Fitness, Wellness & Recreation Director with supervisory oversight of the Fitness, Strength & Conditioning Associate, the Fitness and Wellness Facilitator oversees the workout areas and ensures the facilities are prepared for the delivery of all programs and services taking place in the Hart House Fitness Centre. The Fitness and Wellness Facilitator has key responsibilities in welcoming and greeting patrons, providing excellent customer service, ensuring the proper use of equipment. The incumbent offers assistance to members and patrons including but not limited to educating them about movement patterns and guiding them perform exercises safely. They must also ensure that members follow proper gym etiquette and abide by the Fitness Centre policies. Furthermore, the Fitness and Wellness Facilitator will ensure that the Fitness Centre and all equipment are well maintained by particularly checking and cleaning throughout their shifts.
The successful candidate must maintain and provide proof of a valid Standard First Aid & CPR certificate throughout their employment term. The Fitness and Wellness Facilitator must ensure the safety of workout areas and report all incidents and injuries via Hart House Fitness Centre reporting processes.
The Hart House Fitness Centre is open 365 days a year to support our community on their wellness journey. Fitness and Wellness Facilitator will be required to work a combination of morning, evening and/or weekend shifts.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Have strong leadership skills, especially in emergency situations
- Exemplify thorough knowledge of the latest principles of exercise
- Be punctual
- Adhere to expectations
- Be effective independently
- Perform well in team environment
- Embrace the principles of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) and apply them to your work
- Be able to think critically and be effective in solving problems
- Communicate effectively
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor the activities of the patrons within the Hart House Fitness Centre including all workout areas.
- Respond to emergencies and provide Standard First Aid and CPR to certification standards.
- Ensure that members follow proper gym etiquette and abide by the Fitness Centre policies.
- Maintain facility presentation in all workout areas which includes cleaning and organizing equipment up to 50 pounds.
- Provide tours of the Hart House Fitness Centre.
- Educate patrons regarding basic guidelines for safe, effective and enjoyable exercise.
- Provide facility orientations and introductory exercise demonstration.
- Stay informed of all programs and services offered by the Hart House Fitness Centre.
- Encourage patrons to register for fitness and wellness programs that match their goals and interests.
- Communicate with supervisors on an ongoing basis via outlines communication platforms.
- Report broken or damaged equipment and required maintenance.
- Post proper signage for closures, restrictions, and maintenance.
- Collect Fitness Centre statistics.
- Be a positive ambassador of the Hart House Fitness Centre.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings.
Minimum Qualifications for Hire:
- At least one year experience in the Fitness Industry
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C certifications
- Previous experience with weight room equipment and techniques, including exercise modifications
- Previous customer service experience
- Exercise science, Kinesiology, Biomechanics, and Physiology background is considered an asset
- Previous experience as a university orientation leader, camp counsellor or tour guide is an asset
- Experience in performing arts and hospitality is considered an asset
- Ability to regularly push, pull, lift, and carry up to 50 pounds
- Ability to stand long term for up to five (5) hours.
- Ability to respond quickly to sounds
- Ability to move quickly over uneven terrain or in confined spaces
The hourly wage for the Fitness and Wellness Facilitator Position is $17.00 an hour.
Application closing date:
Please submit your application by 11:59 PM of Tuesday, July 30, 2023. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
A voluntary, brief Diversity Survey is included in our application processes. Any information directly related to you is confidential and cannot be accessed by search committees or human resources staff. Results are aggregated for institutional planning purposes only. For more information, please see .
The University strives to be an equitable and inclusive community, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our academic mission.
The University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with different abilities.
If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact .
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Expected salary: $17 per hour
Location: Toronto, ON
Job date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:33:27 GMT
Apply for the job now!