Job title: Youth and Community Navigator, YMCA Leadership Employment Advancement Program (LEAP)
Job description: Title: Youth and Community Navigator, YMCA Leadership Employment Advancement Program (LEAP)
Position Status: Full-Time Contract, 9 Month Term
Compensation: $45,000 annually
Start Date: April 1, 2023
Location: Sheet Harbour & Surrounding Areas
Since 1853 the YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth has been connecting Nova Scotians to build healthy communities. As a non-profit charity we provide vital services, including Health, Employment, Childcare/Camps, Immigrant Services, and Youth Development.
The YMCA Experience
At the YMCA we know that our ability to partner with others in our community is through the passion and dedication of our employees and volunteers. In joining the YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth you will become part of a dedicated network of individuals with great passion for providing a holistic support to the communities in which we serve.
The YMCA Leadership Employment Achievement Program is an innovative program that works with youth towards their employment goal. The youth participate in four weeks of pre-employment training, followed by a six-month paid employment placement. Reporting to the supervising manager, this position will be front and center in ensuring the success of this important area of work.
- Recruit youth through networking with a specific focus on youth who are traditionally underrepresented in the workplace (African Nova Scotian, Indigenous, New Canadians, youth who live with disabilities, etc.), as well as youth living below the low-income cut-off and/or are not employed or in educational training
- Job opportunity matching and employee & employer support
- Assist participants in the rural Sheet Harbour areas to secure and maintain employment
- On-going wrap around support services throughout the program and during on-going employment
- Offer training and support to employers to create welcoming, diverse, and inclusive workplaces
- Maintain atmosphere of achievement that inspires others to succeed at the highest levels
- Facilitate employment and life skills works to the participants (in-person and virtual)
- The Community Navigator will be responsible for engaging the Sheet Harbour and surrounding communities by hosting focus groups, building community networks, giving presentations, hosting job fairs, etc.
- Ensure the development of a network of community contacts and stakeholders to increase the effectiveness of the project, increase opportunities for youth development and mentorship and ensure there is value to the local community
Qualifications & Skills
- A combination of relevant education or experience in employment
- Experience with workshop development and facilitation
- Experience working with community partners in a development role
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of positive youth development
- Proven track record of commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment and responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Demonstrated appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes, and values of the YMCA
- Strong planning, organizational, leadership, and communication skills
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Internet/ Email and use of data base programs
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a larger team
- Flexibility to work irregular hours as required
- Access to reliable transportation to support travel within the region
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
- Ability to plan, promote, develop, and implement youth job placements in the community
- Talent to recruit, train, and support youth in workshop settings (in-person and remotely)
- Ability to complete monthly reports and program evaluations
- Participation in comprehensive Group Benefits and Pension Program
- Strong work/life balance programs, i.e., paid vacation and personal days
- Individual and family YMCA Membership options
- Access to discounted childcare and programs
Please apply online at by noon on March 10, 2023.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify.
Expected salary: $45000 per year
Location: Sheet Harbour, NS
Job date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 05:18:16 GMT
Apply for the job now!