Job title: Home Care Attendant (Paid Training and Employment Program) HCA1 – WRHA – All Comm. Areas
Company: Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
Job description: Requisition ID: 328146
Position Number: Multiple Positions
Posting End Date: On-going Opportunities
Site: WRHA Community Health Services
Work Location: Winnipeg Community
Department / Unit: Various
Job Stream: Clinical
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
FTE: Full-time & Part-time Opportunies
Anticipated Shift: Days, Evenings, Weekends (Weekend work is a requirement in the Home Care program)
Daily Hours Worked: 8 hrs
Annual Base Hours: 2080
The Home Care Program helps individuals remain in the familiar environment of their own home by providing health services or assistance with activities of daily living. Home Care services are provided throughout the Winnipeg Region in the following Community Areas:
– Seven Oaks/Inkster – St. Vital/St. Boniface – River East/Transcona
– Fort Garry/River Heights – Downtown/Point Douglas – St. James/Assiniboine South
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We’re united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
Under the general supervision of the Resource Coordinator, the HCA1 – Home Care Attendant works independently, traveling within the community to visit clients in their homes and assist them with activities of daily living and provide hands-on care. Tasks include but are not limited to, personal care (bathing/toileting), assistance with mobility and transfers, in-home respite services, medication assistance and documentation. Additional duties include housekeeping, laundry and preparing bulk or individual meals.
Successful applicants will select from part-time or full-time opportunities and participate in a full-time paid training program over a four (4) week period. Incumbents will receive instruction on subjects such as routine practices to maintain a safe and sanitary environment, proper ergonomics and fall prevention, safe client handling, lifts and transfers using a variety of techniques (including sliders/mechanical lifts, etc.), dignity in care, mental health, communication and others. Subject to successful completion of training the incumbent will enter the community in their part-time or full-time position.
Please note, all job offers are conditional upon successful completion of the HCA1 Paid Training Course. Successful applicants will be required complete a return of service agreement to work a minimum of 12 months within the Home Care Program.
- Recent experience in providing care to the elderly and/or individuals with physical or cognitive impairments required.
- Previous experience with housekeeping, laundry, meal preparation preferred.
- Minimum Grade 10 education, Manitoba standards, required.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Successful applicants will be required to complete the WRHA Home Care Program’s Comprehensive Training Program and will be paid to attend.
- March 13th to April 7th, 2023
- April 19th to May 16th, 2023
- May 15th to June 9th, 2023
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle required in order to make home visits to various clients in the community.
- Information and/or training will be provided within the probation period for the following:
- Personal Health Information Act (PHIA), Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) and Principles of Routine Practices (Universal Precautions).
- Regional and Program policies and procedures.
- Roles and responsibilities of members of the healthcare team.
General skills and ability to perform all tasks and responsibilities relevant to the duties of the position. * Ability to organize and prioritize assigned workload.
- Ability to recognize and pursue self-development opportunities.
- Effective English verbal and written communication skills.
- Preference will be given to those applicants competent in an Aboriginal language and/or knowledge in Aboriginal customs, traditions and values.
- Ability to respond to a variety of simultaneous demands.
- Ability to perform as a team member and seek assistance as necessary.
- Position involves extensive physical activity such as lifting, bending.
- Must be in good physical and mental health.
- May be exposed to infectious diseases, blood and body fluids, toxic materials, noise, allergens (i.e. residual smoke, pets and or/pet dander), physical and emotional stress.
- May encounter aggressive and/or agitated clients/visitors/staff.
- Will include travel between clients with unpredictable driving conditions or potential inclement weather.
- May encounter home environments that could have congested spaces, uneven surfaces (both inside and outside the home environment).
- This position is also subject to TB Immunization or Tuberculin testing as per WRHA policy.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.
Expected salary: $19123 per year
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Job date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 23:32:42 GMT
Apply for the job now!