Job title: Automotive Mechanic (Temporary Employment)
Company: City of Hollywood, Florida
Job description: The Position
Come to a City that Builds Careers! As one of the largest cities in Broward County, the City of Hollywood provides an energetic, innovative and collaborative work environment for its employees. Want Top Notch Insurance? We offer low cost health insurance giving you the best value – Medical, Dental, Vision and Flexible Spending Plans. Need Work Life Balance? We have got you covered with a 4-Day Work Week and an Award Winning Wellness Program. And We Don’t Stop There. The City of Hollywood provides a generous Paid Time Off Program inclusive of 13 Paid Holidays, Vacation Leave, Personal Leave, and Sick Leave. Repaying Student Loans? Employees at the City with 10 years of public service and on-time payments qualify for the Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Program. Let’s Partner Together and Come Grow with the City of Hollywood. Apply Now!
For more information about this position and our competitive pay, benefits package and pension plan, refer to this job posting or our City website at .
***Seeking Highly Skilled & Knowledgeable Mechanic with
Extensive Heavy Equipment Maintenance and Repair Experience***
*** Temporary Employment Under 1 Year ***
*** Hourly Rate Dependent Upon Qualifications From $23.60 – $35.00 Per Hour *** This is skilled work in the maintenance and repair of gasoline and diesel-powered automotive vehicles and equipment. Employees in this class are responsible for the journey-level repair of a wide variety of light and heavy general and off-road motorized vehicles and attendant equipment. Work involves the overhaul and troubleshooting of standard and specialized engines, air conditioning and electrical systems, suspensions and portable electrical generation equipment. Employees exercise a significant degree of independent judgment in determining method of repair following receipt of oral or written work orders. Work is inspected while in progress and/or records of equipment services are reviewed to determine degree of employee performance. Supervision may be exercised over semi-skilled workers.
- Performs repairs, tune-ups, diagnostics tests, and major overhauls on a wide variety of medium and heavy-duty automotive equipment, including diesel, Hybrids and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG).
- Responds to road service calls; services and repairs disabled vehicles for all mechanical malfunctions.
- Inputs and retrieves work orders from a computer Fleet Maintenance Program.
- Directs preventative maintenance and simple repair activities of semi-skilled automotive workers.
- Inspects, adjusts, and replaces valves, pistons, bearings, brakes, cooling, fuel, ignition, electrical and exhaust systems; diagnoses systems using electronic scanner equipment.
- Overhauls and services hydraulic and vacuum controls and components.
- Operates service vehicles and tow trucks; performs on-road service on disabled vehicles.
- Diagnoses and repairs to various heavy trucks and equipment systems.
- Diagnoses and repairs specialized Police vehicle emergency equipment.
- Diagnoses and repairs suspension problems; sets steering to factory specifications.
- Road-tests equipment following repair.
- Must effectively and positively represent the City in delivering and performing work with colleagues and clients, irrespective of gender, race, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or belief, or sexual orientation.
- Must maintain effective and professional relationships with work colleagues, supervisors and managers.
- Performs related work as required for this position description only.
High School Diploma, or GED equivalent, or vocational school plus four (4) years experience as an automotive mechanic at the journey level. Must possess a valid State of Florida CDL Class B License.
Additional education and experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience may be substituted for the above requirements.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Valid Driver’s License: With proof of automobile insurance
- Background Check: Must have an acceptable background record
- Driving Abstract: Must have an acceptable driving record
Required Education and Background Information: Look over the announcement carefully to determine your eligibility. Please note minimum education and experience requirements. Closed competitive positions are open only to employees while open competitive positions are open to anyone who meets the minimum qualifications for the position. Evidence of a GED test score is required if submitted for high school diploma. Applicants are responsible for clearly documenting work experience and/or providing all relevant information at the time of application. Additional information will not be accepted after the announcement closing date.
Examination: Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: written examination, performance examination, education and experience evaluation, oral examination and/or other job related examinations.
You will be notified of the time and place of your examination when you file or later by mail. A passing grade is required on each part of the process. Repeated participation in any examination for which the same test is used is limited to once every 6 months. Your examination results will be sent by email as soon as possible after the grading is completed.
Final passing grades are used to determine a candidate’s position on the eligibility list of successful candidates. Departments fill vacancies from this list. The top three names are considered for each vacancy unless otherwise modified. Those not appointed are returned to the eligibility list for further consideration in accordance with the Civil Service Ordinance. Your name will remain on a register for one year for open competitive examinations and two years for closed competitive except where labor contract conflicts.
Your name may be removed from an eligibility list prior to one year according to Hollywood’s Civil Service Ordinance or labor contracts. Your eligibility may be canceled if you refuse a position or if you are not available for work. You are responsible for notifying the Employment Office, in writing, of any change in your address or telephone number.
Special Accommodation and Communication Needs: The City of Hollywood provides necessary reasonable accommodation in the examination process upon request to persons with disabilities. Such requests must be made PRIOR to any scheduled examination.
Veteran’s Preference: The City values the service that veterans and their family members have given to our country, and as such, proactively recruits and hires veterans and qualified spouses to the greatest extent possible. Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such servicemembers and veterans, receive preference and priority, and certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements. To obtain veteran’s preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers (DD214) and meet eligibility requirements as stipulated by the Florida Statutes. For additional information, please refer to the .
All successful applicants will be required to pass an extensive background which may include criminal history searches, driving history checks, credit report, courthouse searches, education verification, employment verification, professional license verification, or other search methods as deemed necessary for the position. In addition, the applicant will be required to undergo a medical examination, which may include a drug screening, prior to appointment.
EMPLOYMENT OF RELATIVES: The City of Hollywood has an Ordinance which regulates the employment of relatives of City employees. Effective January 28, 2008, a relative may only be hired under the following additional conditions:
- The relative must have competed in an appropriate examination process as determined by Human Resources and be placed on a civil service eligibility list;
- The relative must be among the top three ranked candidates available on the certified eligibility list unless expanded by the Civil Service Board;
- The Department or Office Director and the Director, Human Resources must demonstrate that it is in the best interests of the City of Hollywood to hire the relative of a public officer or employee.
As of 12/15/2005 the City will require all newly hired employees to sign an affidavit affirming non-usage of tobacco or tobacco products within the last year prior to submission of application and will continue to be a non-user of tobacco products throughout employment with the City of Hollywood.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The Employment Office will make reasonable efforts in the examination and workplace to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources of special needs by calling (954) 921-3216.
All applicants receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, abilities, marital status, political affiliation, familial status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity and expression (except as limited by law, Personnel Rules, Collective Bargaining Agreements, or bona fide occupational disqualifications).
The City of Hollywood is an Equal Opportunity / Equal Access Employer.
Expected salary: $23.6 – 35 per hour
Job date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 02:53:06 GMT
Apply for the job now!